July 22nd, 2014
In Hollywood, a world where image and beauty is just about everything, many celebrities take the time to fix flaws in their appearance that make them feel uncomfortable. One of those such celebrities is soul surfer Bethany Hamilton, who chose to straighten her teeth using Damon Smile braces, an orthodontic treatment we proudly offer at Henderson Orthodontics that combines patented "tie-less" braces with advanced memory wire.
Hamilton, who overcame an injury from a horrific shark attack to return to professional surfing, chose Damon Smile to perfect her smile. With her choice, she showed children, teens, and adults who are apprehensive about orthodontic treatment that even celebrities get braces.
At age 14, Hamilton began her orthodontic treatment for a severe underbite with significant crowding and a narrow arch. She also had an open bite, which meant there was an open space between her upper and lower teeth when her jaw was closed. These types of cases are typically among the most difficult to treat and often require surgery. Hamilton relied on Damon Smile rather than traditional braces for her treatment.
If you have been thinking about an orthodontic procedure, come see us at Henderson Orthodontics for an assessment to see if Damon Smile is right for you! Give us a call today at our convenient Bloomington, IN office!
July 15th, 2014
Perhaps you feel your teeth are not perfectly straight, or you think your bite could be adjusted. It’s quite possible that braces and other orthodontic treatments might be the right choice for you. As orthodontic professionals, our team at Henderson Orthodontics works with your general dentist in order to determine the best options for your oral health and cosmetic appearance.
You might need braces if ...
- You lost your baby teeth relatively early in life. If your baby teeth fell out too early and your adult teeth did not come in for a while, this could have affected the way your adult teeth grew and developed.
- Your teeth look crowded or crooked. If you are embarrassed to smile because your teeth are not straight, it might be time to consider the cosmetic options available to you.
- Your jaw shifts or makes sounds. This can signify a developmental issue with your teeth and your jaw line, and orthodontic treatment may be able to help. Set up an appointment with Dr. David Henderson if your jaw is recessed or protruding as well.
- You are constantly biting the sides of your cheek or hitting the roof of your mouth. This could indicate that your teeth are not properly aligned. Braces can address an underbite or an overbite.
- You have a difficult time chewing your food. This is not only an inconvenience, but it can also be detrimental for your health. Braces can help fix the alignment of your teeth.
- You have to breathe through your mouth on a regular basis. You may not attribute this to an issue with the development of your teeth or jaw, but orthodontic treatment might be able to help.
The ideal age for a child to be seen by an orthodontist is age seven. However, there are many orthodontic treatment options available to adults. It is becoming increasingly common for adults to wear braces and other orthodontic devices. We recommend that people who are interested in braces and other orthodontic treatment options set up a consultation appointment with Dr. David Henderson today.
July 8th, 2014
Dr. David Henderson and our dedicated team at Henderson Orthodontics are pleased to offer Damon Smile for our patients. Damon braces allow your teeth to move more comfortably and easily than do traditional braces. Thanks to these innovative new braces, achieving your perfect smile will be faster and easier than you ever thought possible.
You're probably saying, “Okay, how are Damon braces an advantage over regular braces?”
Damon's innovative technology of self-ligating braces saves you time in orthodontic treatment at Henderson Orthodontics. Damon Smile allows for fewer trips to our office, and faster movement of your teeth than do traditional braces. The light forces applied by Damon braces are “biologically compatible,” meaning that they work with your body for gentler and quicker tooth movement. Finally, Damon braces diminish the amount of food and moisture that can become trapped along the brackets, allowing for more efficient teeth cleaning.
Damon Smile braces have a unique slide mechanism that allows Dr. David Henderson to use lighter forces to move your teeth to their correct positions. That makes your treatment at Henderson Orthodontics not only shorter, but also far more comfortable. Because of its unique sliding door, the Damon Smile bracket allows us to use high-tech, light-force wires to achieve tooth movement. That means less pressure on your teeth for more comfortable treatment.
To learn more about Damon Smile, or to schedule an initial consultation with Dr. David Henderson, please give us a call.
July 1st, 2014
Happy Independence Day from Dr. David Henderson and team! The Fourth of July celebrations in America may have changed a lot over the years, but there is no doubt that we Americans love to celebrate the anniversary of our country's independence! Today we're devoting the Henderson Orthodontics blog to some fun facts about the Fourth!
- My, how we have grown! This year the United States Census Bureau estimates that our country has 313.9 million residents celebrating the Fourth of July this year, but back in 1776 there were just 2.5 million members of the country.
- Our country loves to show how proud that we are of our independence. Did you know that there are 31 United States places with the word “Liberty” in their names? The state of Iowa actually has four towns with the word Liberty in the name: Libertyville, New Liberty, North Liberty, and West Liberty.
- The United States loves Fourth of July food! It is expected that around 150 million hot dogs are eaten on the Fourth each year. One of the Fourth's most popular sides, potato salad, goes just perfectly with the hotdogs and hamburgers that are standard Fourth of July fare. Some people choose potato chips instead, but we wouldn't have such a plethora of potatoes if not for the prodigious production of the states of Idaho and Washington -- they provide about half of all the potatoes in the United States today!
- Americans love celebrating the Fourth outdoors: About 74 million Americans fire up their BBQ grill every Fourth of July.
- The Chinese contribution: Did you know that Americans have spent more than $211 million on fireworks that were imported from China?
No matter how your family chooses to celebrate the Fourth, stay safe, take precautions, and don't forget to brush after your fabulous Fourth feast!