April 15th, 2014
Also known as onchophagia, the habit of nail biting is one of the so-called “nervous habits” that can be triggered by stress, excitement, or boredom. Approximately half of all kids between the ages of ten and 18 have been nail biters at one time or another. Experts say that about 30 percent of children and 15 percent of adults are nail biters, however most people stop chewing their nails by the time they turn 30.
Here are four dental and general reasons to stop biting your nails:
1. It’s unsanitary: Your nails harbor bacteria and germs, and are almost twice as dirty as fingers. What’s more, swallowing dirty nails can lead to stomach problems.
2. It wears down your teeth: Gnawing your nails can put added stress on your pearly whites, which can lead to crooked teeth.
3. It can delay your orthodontic treatment: For those of our patients wearing braces, nail biting puts additional pressure on teeth and weakens roots.
4. It can cost you, literally: It has been estimated that up to $4,000 in extra dental bills can build up over a lifetime.
Dr. David Henderson and our team recommend the following to kick your nail biting habit:
- Keep your nails trimmed short; you’ll have less of a nail to bite.
- Coat your nails with a bitter-tasting nail polish.
- Ask us about obtaining a mouthguard, which can help prevent nail biting.
- Put a rubber band around your wrist and snap it whenever you get the urge to gnaw on your nails.
- Think about when and why you chew your nails. Whether you are nervous or just bored, understanding the triggers can help you find a solution and stop the habit.
- If you can’t stop, behavioral therapy may be an effective option to stop nail biting. Ask Dr. David Henderson and our team for a recommendation.
April 8th, 2014
Many patients ask Dr. David Henderson and our team about the differences between Damon Smile braces and regular braces. Today we thought we'd share some information on Damon Smile.
A lot of our patients, especially adults, come to Dr. David Henderson thinking traditional braces are the only answer to straight teeth. Here at Henderson Orthodontics, we offer Damon Smile, a revolutionary new braces system that can give you better results in less time!
Am I right for Damon Smile?
Dr. David Henderson will evaluate your eligibility for Damon Smile, as it can be used for children and adults alike!
What makes Damon Smile braces better?
Probably the biggest advantage to Damon braces versus traditional brackets is the amount of time and effort involved. Treatment with Damon Smile can often cut months off of the total treatment time and fewer visits to our office are necessary to make adjustments.
If you have any questions about Damon Smile or your treatment here at Henderson Orthodontics, please post a comment here or give us a call!
April 1st, 2014
It's springtime and it's again time to remind our patients at Henderson Orthodontics to protect their faces and pearly whites while out on the field playing sports. According to the National Youth Sports Safety Foundation, children, high-school athletes and adults have more than 5,000,000 teeth knocked out in sporting events annually.
If you are planning on participating in spring sports, it’s imperative to have a proper-fitting mouthguard. Mouthguards can prevent chipped or broken teeth, lip and cheek injuries, jaw fractures, mouth lacerations and even concussions.
Having a mouthguard can make the difference between losing your teeth or not, and because many of our patients who play high school sports have jaws that are still growing, last year’s mouthguard may no longer fit as it should. Dr. David Henderson and our team at Henderson Orthodontics can fit you for a new guard.
To learn more about mouthguards or for general questions about your treatment at our Bloomington, IN office, please give us a call!
March 25th, 2014
Adult patients who seek orthodontic treatment usually fall into one of two camps: those who did not undergo orthodontic treatment as a child or those who had braces at one point but stopped wearing retainers for one reason or another.
At Henderson Orthodontics, we are happy to offer a variety of treatment options to straighten our patients’ teeth. Dr. David Henderson and our team believe you’re never too old to straighten your teeth. And we have many adult patients who are currently undergoing treatment. In fact, did you know that roughly 30 percent of all orthodontic patients these days are adults?
Invisalign® is a great treatment option for adults. The Invisalign aligners are easy to wear and are not visible to most people. Plus, Invisalign's clear aligners are removable, so there are no restrictions on what you can eat during treatment. When considering Invisalign, we tell adults to determine if they can be diligent about wearing the aligners at all times and make them part of their lifestyle for the duration of treatment.
If you have been thinking about obtaining a beautiful smile, please give us a call at our convenient Bloomington, IN office for an initial consultation. Dr. David Henderson and our team welcome children, teens, and adults alike. Call us today for an appointment!